Electrical Safety Tips To Keep You Safe At Home

Electrical Safety

It is estimated that over 31,000 homes in the United States have reported electrical fires every year. One of the main reason for this is the fact that home electrical safety is something which is not given much importance. Faulty wires and other related equipment can have a potential fire hazard, and it is up to you to ensure that you stay safe in your home.


Check that you are using the correct the wattage

This is one of the most important steps which will help you prevent any electrical problems in the future. Try to make sure that you are checking, lamps, fixtures, appliances to help ensure that there is correct wattage. A light fixture can have 60-watt bulb or less depending on the ceiling fixtures, and it is up to you to check before installations.


Look out for overloaded outlets

Overloading is also one of the most common electrical problems which can lead to fires. Try to make sure that you are checking these outlets and ensure that everything is cool to touch, has a protective faceplate and is in proper working conditions. A few ways you can make sure this is avoided is by making sure that you do not use extensions or getting it checked by an electrician.


Replaced damaged cords

Damaged Power cords is a serious issue which can have risks and are capable of using both fires and electrocutions. Check all the cords regularly and makes sure that they are running fine. Remove any cords under the rugs or furniture which can cause overheat and can be the reason your furniture gets damaged.

damaged cords

Keep your used and unused cords tidy and secure to prevent damage

Electrical safety rules do not apply to the power cords which needs to be stored safely and prevent damage to the cord. Keep the cord away from children and pets who may chew on it and cause a safety hazard. Try to make sure that you are not stretching the cord and is not anywhere near a hot surface to help prevent damage to the cords.


Unplug all your unused appliances

This is one of the simplest yet effective safety tips, which is also one of the easiest to forget. When you are not using any appliance, it is a safe bet that you unplug the device. Try to make sure that you are doing it safely to help protect from overheating and power surges.


Keep electrical outlets and devices away from water

Water and electricity do not work well together, and it is one of the safety measures that you are keeping all your electrical equipment dry and away from water to ensure that there is no water damage done. When working with electrical equipment, make sure you have dry hands and away from sinks, showers and others which can eliminate the risk of contact.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *